Professor Abdul Bayes has joined as Director, BRAC Research and Evaluation Division on 01 June 2015. Before joining BRAC he has been serving as a professor in the Department of Economics, Jahangirnagar University. Earlier, he was the Vice Chancellor of Jahangirnagar University and chairman of Bangladesh NGO Foundation. He has more than thirty seven years of experience in research and consultancy with IRRI, ADB, World Bank, Danish embassy and The Netherlands embassy. He has authored several books, articles and has a long list of journal publications to his credit. He did his M. Eco. From the University of New England (UNE), Armidale, Australia and also from Dhaka university. He has a post graduate, diploma in economics from the Australian National University (ANU), Canberra. His research interest includes Agriculture, International Trade (Exchange Rate, Industry Policy), Rural Development and Rural Livelihoods
Date Of Birth: 12 September, 1949
Present Position: Professor, Dept. of Economics, Jahangirnagar University (JU), Savar, Dhaka, Bangladesh
M.Ec., University of New England (UNE), Armidale, Australia, 1985
Post Graduate. Dip in Economics, Australian National University (ANU), Canberra, 1983
M.A. (Econ), Dhaka University, Bangladesh, 1971
B.A. (Hons.)(Econ.), Dhaka University, 1970
- Mahabub Hossain and Abdul Bayes (2015), Bish Geramer Golpo (Tales of Twenty Villages), The University Press Limited (UPL).
- Mahabub Hossain and Abdul Bayes (2015) ,Leading Issues in Rural Development, Bangladesh Perspective, AH Development Publishing House.
- Bayes, Abdul and Mahabub Hossain (2013), Tin Bigha Jomi (Three Bighas of land), AH Development Publishing House.
- Bayes, Abdul and Mahabub Hossain (2013),Golpe Golpe Arthonity (Economics in Tales), AH Development Publishing House.
- Bayes, Abdul (2012), Bangladesh at 40: Changes and Challenges (ed.), AH Development Publishing House.
- Bayes, A. and Mahabub Hossain (2012), Gorib Deshe Gorib Manush Bangladesh (Poor People in Poor country, Bangladesh), AH Development Publishing House
- Hossain, M. and Abdul Bayes (2009), Rural Economy and Livelihoods: Insights from Bangladesh, AH Development Publishing House.
- Bayes, Abdul and Mahabub Hossain (2007), Gramer Manush Grameen Arthonity – Jobon Jibiker Projalochona (Rural People Rural economy – An Evaluation of Lives and Livelihoods), Writers Foundation/Swaraj, Dhaka
- Bayes, Abdul and Rahaman, Anisur (1998), Bangladesh at 25 : An analytical Discourse on Development, University Press Limited, Dhaka.
- Bayes, Abdul (1997) Dakkin Asiayer Manob Unnayan (Human Development in South Asia 1997 by Dr. Mahabubul Huq, translated into Bengali,) University Press Ltd., Dhaka.
- Bayes, Abdul. (1980), International Economics- With Reference to Bangladesh Foreign Trade, Jahangirnagar University.
- Bayes, Abdul (2000), Arthanitir Raja, Arthanitir Proja (King of Economics, Subjects of Economics), Mowla Brothers,Dhaka.
- Bayes,Abdul (1998), Pancham Poncha Barshik Porikolpona (Fifth Five Year Plan,1997-2002) Translated into Bengali, Planning Commission, Government of Bangladesh.
- Bayes, Abdul (2001), Shada Chokhe Kalo Manush (Black people in plain perceptions), Writers Foundation of Bangladesh, Dhaka.
- Bayes, A. (2010), Beneath The Surface: Development Issues in Bangladesh and Beyond,(Forth coming).
- Bayes, A., and Mahabub Hossain (2012), “Gram Banglaiy Krishi O Okrshi Shompoder Poribartan ebong Grameen Jibika “(Changes in Rural agricultural and non-agricultural assets and Livelihoods), ”, Bangladesh Unnayan Shomikha, BIDS.
- Bayes, A. and Mahabub Hossain (2008), “ Gramen Daridra:Porimap, Probonota o Niamok” (Rural Poverty, Measurement, Trend and Determinants”, Bangladesh Unnayan Shomikha, BIDS.
- Bayes, A. and Nahid Sultana Shuravi (2008), “National Budget 2008-09: Recipe, Result and Risks”, The Jahangirnagar Economic Review, vol.19.
- Bayes, Abdul (with Shyamal K. Chowdhury) (2006), “Leadership from Non Governmental Organizations: The case of Bangladesh”, In Torero, M. and Joachim von Braun (ed.), Information and Communication Technologies for Development and Poverty Reduction, Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Bayes, Abdul. (2005), “Agriculture in South Asia: Destined for a New Deal (A Synopsis)”, South Asian: Agriculture and Rural Development, Proceedings of seminars, IFPRI.
- Bayes, A. (1991) "Structural Adjustment Policies and the Economy of Bangladesh", The Jahangirnagar Economic Review.
- Bayes,Abdul (1990) "Structural Adjustment Policies, External Sector and the Fourth Plan", Bangladesh Journal of Political Economy, Vol. II, No. I.
- Bayes,Abdul(1990) "An Evaluation of the Import Substitution and Export oriented Industrialization in Bangladesh", Bangladesh Journal of Political Economy, BEA, Dhaka.
- Bayes,Abdul. F.K.Patwary and M.Akkas (2005),”Vegetables and vulnerability: Institutions, Infrastructure and Innovations”, The Jahangirnagar Economic Review,Vol.16, No.1
- Bayes,Abdul (2001),”The Phone and the Future: Village Pay Phones in Bangladesh” in Detlef Virchow and Joachim von Braun (ed.), Villages in the Future: Crops, Jobs and Livelihood, Springer Publication: Berlin, Heidelberg and New York.
- Bayes, Abdul (2001),”Infrastructure and rural development: Insights from a Grameen Bank village phone initiative in Bangladesh”, Agricultural Economics, vol.25 ,Nos. 2-3 ,Elsevier, London.
- Bayes, Abdul (with others), “Impact of modern rice varieties on food security and cultivar diversity: the Bangladesh case”, in S. Peng and B. Hardy (ed.), Rice Research for Food Security and Poverty Alleviation, International Rice Research Institute, Metro Manila, P
- Bayes, Abdul (2001), “Comment on “Growth and Inequality: The Role of Foreign Trade and Investment”, Annual World Bank Conference on Development Economics, The World Bank ,2001/02, Washington DC.
- Bayes, Abdul., R. Amin and S. Becker (1998), "NGO-Promoted Micro credit Programs and Women's Empowerment in Rural Bangladesh : Quantitative and Qualitative Evidence," The Journal of Developing Areas, Vol-32, No. 2.
- Bayes, A., Ahmed Mafizuddin and Tripura, P. (1997), "An Evaluation of Chanduna Deep Tube well", The Jahangirnagar Economic Review, Vol. 9, No. 1.
- Bayes, A. (1996), "Human Development : An Agenda for Co-operation" in Nurul Momen (ed.) UN and Bangladesh : Co-operation for Development, Bangladesh Government Press.
- Bayes, A. , Ismail Hossain and M. Rahman (1992) " External Sector" in Rehman Sobhan (ed.) Experiences with Economic Reform A Review of Bangladesh's Development, Center for Policy Dialogue/ University Press Limited.
- Bayes, A. (1992) "Growth Structural Change and Employment in Trade and Services", The Jahangirnagar Economic Review Vol. 7, No. 1 Bank (Central Bank), 1974-75.
- Bayes, A. (with others) (1991), "Industrial Policy" in Rehman Sobhan (ed.) Report of the Task Forces on Bangladesh Development Strategies for the 1990s, Vol. 2, University Press Limited.
- Bayes,Abdul(1990) "Landless in Rural Bangladesh : Purview, Process and Policies", The Jahangirnagar Review, part II, Social Sciences, Vols. XI and XII.
- Bayes,Abdul (1989) "Foreign Policy and External Economic Relations : Direction, Nature and Implications", in Kabir, M.G. and Hassan, S. (Eds.), Issues and Challenges Facing Bangladesh Foreign Policy.
- Bayes,Abdul (1987) " Bangladesh Banking : Growth and Structure", Bank Porikroma, BIBM, Dhaka.
- Bayes,Abdul and Mannan A. (1985) " Infant Mortality and Fertility - A Case Study of Tow Villages in Bangladesh”, The Jahangirnagar Economic Review, Vol. 2, No. 1.
- Bayes,Abdul., Parton, K. and Pigott, R. (1985) " Combined Price Support and Fertilizer and Pigott R. (1985) Subsidy for increasing Output : A case of Rice in Bangladesh", Food Policy, Vol. 10, No. 3, Butterworth, London.
Consultant, BRAC, 62 Village Survey 2013-2015
Consultant, IRRI, 2003 on Impact Assessment of Seed Health on Rural Livelihoods
Consultant, ADB on Impact assessment of gas on poverty reduction, 2005, 2007 and 2008
Consultant, World Bank 2002, on South Asian Trade
Consultant, World Bank, 2003 on India Bangladesh Trade
Consultant, IRRI, 2004, on Poverty
Visiting Research Fellow, Centre for Development Research, Bonn, Germany, 1999 on Village phone.
Consultant, World Bank, Dhaka Office (Study on Trade Liberalization: It’s Pace and Impact) 1998
Consultant, World Bank Dhaka Office (Study on Suppliers Credit), 1999
Consultant, Bangladesh - Canada Agriculture Sector Team (AST/CIDA), 1986-88.
Consultant, Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS), June-September 1990.
Consultant, Mott MacDonald International, 1992.
Consultant, Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MCCI), 1992.
Consultant, Danish Embassy, 1994.
Consultant, Netherlands Embassy, 1995.
Research Associate, Rural Industries Study Project, Bangladesh Institute Development Studies (BIDS), October 1978 - September 1980.
Professor since 1991
Associates Professo (1987-1990)
Assistant Professo (1981-1986)
Assistant Research Officer, Bangladesh Bank, (1974-75).
Positions HELD AT JU:
Vice Chancellor, 200-2001
Pro Vice Chancellor, 1999-2000
Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences, 1994-1996
Chairman, Dept. of Economics, 1991-1994
Director, Centre for Human Resources Development, 1997-1999
Senate member, JU
Dean of Business Studies Faculty, JU (tentatively, 2010-2013)
Syndicate member, JU
OTHER POSITIONS HELD:
Member, Panel of Economists for Fifth , Sixth and Seventh Five Year Plans constituted by Government of Bangladesh, 1996-2015
Member, Securities and Exchange Commission
Member, Task Forces Constituted by the Care Taker Government, 1990.
Chairman, Bangladesh NGO Foundation (2010-2014)
International Trade (Exchange Rate, Industry Policy).
Rural Development and Rural Livelihoods
News Paper ARTICLES:
About 1000 articles have, so far, been published in English and Bengali National Dailies. At present, writer of the Sunday column in the Daily Star: Beneath the Surface" and Regular Contributor to Bhorer Kagoz-a celebrated Bengali National Daily. Most of the Articles relate to Agriculture, Rural Development, foreign aid, Trade and other Socio-Economic aspects.
Research Reports/ Papers COMPLETED:
2007: Impact of gas supply on poverty, a report prepared for ADB.
2005: Piped gas and poverty reduction, report prepared for ADB
2005: High Value Agriculture in Bangladesh, report for IFPRI
2004: Informal trade between Bangladesh and India, report prepared for World Bank.
2002: Trade between Bangladesh and Northeast India, report for SEDF/IFC
1998: "Information Communication and Rural Poverty" - A Research project funded by the North-South Center for Development Research, University of Bonn.
1998: "Impact of Trade Liberalization on Industrial Growth" - A Research Project Funded by World Bank.
1997: "Irrigation and Development" - a Research Report Submitted for Center for Human Research Development (CHRD), Jahangirnagar University.
1996 : "Integration of Grameen Bank's Minimalist credit strategy into NGO-Promoted Development Program, Women's Empowerment and contraceptive use in Rural Bangladesh" (with Dr. Ruhul Amin of Morgan State University, USA) - a paper prepared for presentation in the Annual General Meeting of the Population Association of America (PAA).
1995: "The External Sector" for the Independent Review of Bangladesh Development (with others).
1995: Women's Empowerment and Fertility in Rural Bangladesh (with Dr. Ruhul Amin.)
1995: "An overview of the VGP programs in Bangladesh", a report prepared for the World Bank, Dhaka.
1995: "Not by water alone - An Evaluation of Chanduna Deep Tube well" (with others), a report prepared for the CHRD, Jahangirnagar University.
1994: Evaluation of Danish Commodity Assistance to Bangladesh (with Jacobson, M).
1993 : "Rural Non-Farm Economy in Bangladesh : A Dynamic Sector or a Sponge for Absorbing Surplus Labor?", (with Dr. Mahabub Hossain and M. Rahaman), A report prepared for and published by the Asian Regional Team for Employment Promotion (ARTEP), ILO, New Delhi, India.
1993: "Agricultural Trade and Policy Reforms with Reference to the Formation of Regional Co-operation in Asian and the Pacific", a conference paper written for and presented to First Conference of the Asian Society of Agricultural Economists.
1992: "Impact of Improved Irrigation Management Training Program on Deep Tube well Management Group in 5 districts", a report prepared for MottMacdonald International, Dhaka.
1992: "Tales of Ten Deep Tube wells-Case Studies on Deep Tube wells", a report prepared for Mott MacDonald International.
1991: "Socio-Economic Impact of Minor Irrigation Facilities: Experiences with North-west Rural Development Project" (with Sayeduzzaman), a report prepared for Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS), Dhaka.
1991: "Identification of Employment Opportunities in the Formal Sector of Bangladesh", a report prepared for the Employers' Association of Bangladesh.
1988: "Wheat Seed Demand for 1987-88 Seasons"- for Ministry of Agriculture.
1988: "Betagi-pomora Project for the Landless-Is the Model Replicable?", for the Ministry of Agriculture.
1987: "Landlessness in Rural Bangladesh - An Examination of Major Issues", for the Ministry of Agriculture.
1987: "Flood 1987 - A Socio-Economic study (with others)", for the Ministry of Agriculture.
1987: "Demand for and supply of Edible Oils in Bangladesh", for AST/CIDA.
1986: "Rural Industries Study Project - Study on Rural Industries in Bangladesh" (with others) for BIDS.
1995: An Evaluation of Dutch Commodity Assistance to Bangladesh (As local consultant with Timmer R. and Maaike Oosterbaan from Netherlands).
1995: Dhaka: Women's Empowerment and Fertility in Rural Bangladesh - Paper presented at a Seminar organized by the Center for Human Resources Development, 23rd August.
Conference/ SeminarS ATTENDED
2014, (28-30 October): Attended a Workshop on Microfinance and Agriculture
2008: Beijing, China: Rural Poverty and Hunger in Asia
2007: ADB Head quarters, Manila: Agricultural and Rural Development for Reducing poverty and Hunger in Asia: in Pursuit of Inclusive and Sustainable Growth
2005: New Delhi, India: Rainfed agriculture and South Asia: potentials and constraints, IFPRI
2005: New Delhi, India: South Asian Trade Policies, World Bank
2004: Islamabad, Pakistan: High Value Agriculture, IFPRI
2004: Durban, South Africa: International Association of Agricultural Economists, IAAE
2003: New Delhi, India: Policy Analysis Network for South Asia (PANSA), IFPRI
2001: Washington DC, USA: Attended the Annual Bank Conference on Development Economics (ABCDE) as designated discussant.
2000: Cyprus: Attended conference of Association of Common Wealth Universities
2000: Berlin, Germany: Presented paper during the XXIV Conference of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, August 13-18.
1999: Cape Coast, Ghana: Attended a conference of the Vice Chancellors of the Association of Common Wealth Universities (ACU)
1999: Singapore: Attended a conference of the ACU.
1998: Washington, USA: Attended ABCDE conference, World Bank.
1997: California, USA: Presented a paper on "Assessing Impact of Government Policies on Rural Development" An Explorative Study for Bangladesh, XXIII IAAE conference, August.
1997: Yogyakarta, Indonesia, Attended Mid-Term Review on APREETA Project (ADB)
1996: Manila, Philippines: Attended a workshop on Environmental Economics Capacity Buildings organized by ADB. 3-11 August.
1995: Maryland, USA: Visited Morgan State University as the Director of Center for Human Resources Development (CHRD), October.
1994: Bombay, India: Invited to attend the Platinum Jubilee conference on Reforms in India of the Indian Economic Association, 19-22 February.
1993 : Seoul, Korea : Agricultural Trade and Policy Reforms in Asia with Reference to the formation of Regional Co-operation in Asia and Pacific - A paper presented at the first conference of the Asian Society of Agricultural Economists, 19-13 August.
1993: Dhaka: Structural Adjustment, External Sector and the Fourth Plan-paper presented at a seminar organized by the BEA in Dhaka, October 17.
1990: Dhaka: Structural Adjustment, External Sector and Fourth Plan-paper presented at a seminar organized by the BEA in Dhaka, October 17.
1989: Dhaka: An Evaluation of the Import Substitution and Export Oriented Industrialization in Bangladesh - A paper presented at the seminar organized by BEA.
1988: Dhaka: Foreign Policy of Bangladesh -Aid or Trade policy? - Paper presented at a seminar organized by the Society for international studies, Jan. 15.
1985: Jahangirnagar, Dhaka: Paper presented at a seminar organized by the Department of Economics, Jahangirnagar University.
1984: Sydney, Australia: paper presented at a seminar organized by the Australian Agricultural Economic Society, February.
Member, International Association of Agricultural
Member, Asian Society of Agricultural
Member, Bangladesh Economic Association;
Weekly Columnist of the Financial Express-a celebrated national daily;
Countries Visited: USA, UK, Cyprus, Canada, Ghana, Australia, Netherlands, India, Pakistan, South Korea, Philippines, Indonesia, UAE, Thailand, Singapore, China, Germany, Japan, Combodia, Vietnam.